|Positive examples of support received during COVID-19||Nr of answers||% of answers||Nr of answers||% of answers|
Theme 1: Good help with the doctoral studies
• Help rescheduling and reorganizing project due to COVID-19
• Flexible meeting times and lab-work duties
|11||20 %||0||0 %|
Theme 2: Good emotional support
• Received more contact, support, sympathy.
• Received support related to mental health.
• Supervisor has more time for the student.
• Supervisor/student/group has an open dialog on COVID-19.
• Supervisor gives advice on how to stay focused when working from home.
|14||25 %||3||10 %|
Theme 3: Good administrative support
• Supervisor arranges an PhD extension
• Supervisor provides administrative help, rearranging courses
|1||2 %||1||3 %|
Theme 4: Good work environment
• Supervisor arranged ergonomic support in home environment
• The student is offered ample opportunities to work from home and/or in a safer environment (e.g. online calendars to avoid crowds, encouraging zoom meetings etc.)
|4||7 %||1||3 %|
|Negative examples highlighting lack of support during the pandemic|
Theme 5: Lack of support in doctoral studies
• Requests help re-structuring the PhD in response to COVID-19
• Need of more follow-up meetings and clearer rules
|10||18 %||4||13 %|
Theme 6: Poor emotional support
• Requests more contact, encouragement and empathy.
• Requests support with mental health issues.
• Would have liked a better understanding of that is its difficult to work from home, e.g. with kids around.
• Requests an open dialog regarding COVID-19.
|9||16 %||12||40 %|
Theme 7: Lack of administrative support
• Requests PhD extensions
• Requests practical advice, e.g. administrative help, rearranging courses
|3||5 %||8||27 %|
Theme 8: Poor work environment
• Requests ergonomic support in home environment
• Requests help adjusting to online work
• Requests that journal clubs are available online
• Requests that at-home work would be encouraged
• Feels pressure to work in the lab with exposure to COVID-19
|7||13 %||6||20 %|