Lack of exposure to male examination
▪ no opportunities to examine males during O&G module
▪ Male genital examination - > non-existent
▪ O&G was adequate for female genital exam preparations, however we have had no exposure to male examinations
▪ Have not had any structured teaching in male genital examination
▪ Haven’t really done any teaching/learning on males
▪ More or less non-existent teaching or experience on genital examination to date
Opportunistic exposure only
▪ Some minimal incidental exposure in clinical practice
▪ Only have female experience due to [undertaking a] summer studentship
▪ Previous experience with female genital examination was observing during pap smear on two General Practice occasions
▪ Observed one or two in 4th year
Limited or no exposure
▪ A topic that has not been addressed previously
▪ One lecture in Paeds, but I never got to see or do
▪ No previous learning
▪ Practice on model in 3rd year Have not done any, so most of this in non-existent
▪ We just had a dummy vagina in MED3 to learn speculum and bimanual exam. A total of 3 h max
Positive Experience with suggestions for minor change
▪ I enjoyed it!
▪ Very valuable.
▪ It is a good addition and should be continued
▪ Fantastic module
▪ Scary, but helpful
▪ Specific advice around technique adjustment was really useful!
▪ Invaluable learning opportunity. Very helpful tutors and empathetic actors.
▪ This was easily the best part of the Module. Very valuable. The pre-exam video for males is poor and should be replaced.
▪ Would be good to have a range of ages and subjects and more exposure
More instruction/demonstration required prior to having to do examination
▪ It was good although I would’ve liked to be able to see the genital exam performed and explained before having to do it ourselves.
▪ A bit more formal instruction before exam would have helped.
Quality of experience dependent on tutor
▪ Dr X was absolutely fantastic as a tutor
▪ Dr Y was rude to both me and the teaching associate. I felt this was inappropriate and unconstructive.